Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Collecting

A few months ago I read an article about collecting. The Antique Week newspaper was encouraging it's readers to keep collecting. The article mentioned items that were being collected were going up in value. Now I have always said, the items that are for sale are only worth the price if someone is willing to pay it.

But getting on to starting a collection. What is a collection anyway? The dictionary has several definitions but this is the one we will look at today -
"something that is collected; a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, especially for some purpose or as a result of some process: a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill."

You know how a collection starts? Let's say you pick up something that you like. Then you see another piece somewhere else and you add it to the first one. So now you have two, and you have started a collection ;-)

Years ago, I would shop with an Aunt who loved to collect Bristol vases. After years of collecting, she amassed quite a lot of them. It was something that she liked and she enjoyed hunting for a new piece to add to her collection.

There are different ways of collecting. You can collect a line of something, like Limoges china, first edition books or the work of an artist you admire. You could also decide to collect things specific to areas, ie. pottery made in Italy, or Poland or even in the US.

I always loved tea cups. When I first started collecting tea cups, I was not too specific in what I bought.


If I liked it, and the price was right, I added it to my collection. Then I started looking more specifically for tea cups made in England. So now I have a nice collection of English Tea cups.

I also have a nice collection of Tea Pots. Some are made in England, Russia, and the US.

The point is, if you find something that you enjoy, and you have a way to display or store them, make your collection work for you. Whenever I have friends over for tea or lunch, I really enjoy using my pretty tea cups and tea pots.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love teacups too. I have several. I also like collecting silver or pewter tea service sets. Thanks for stopping by my photography blog and leaving a kind comment.

Kathe said...

I love collecting my Candlewick glass! Your teacup & teapot collections are beautiful! Thank you for sharing this at the party! I hope to see you again soon :)

Melody said...

So many beauiful things. I love fine china - your collection is beautiful.

LV said...

People collect things for various reasons. You probably never will get back what you put into it. Like you said, nothing is worth anything, but what someone is willing to pay.

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Beautiful collection of china!
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Your collection is beautiful! LOVE your teacups and teapots...After years of collecting teacups&saucers I've started picking up demitasse sets. They are SO CUTE and take up a little less room,hehe! I've also started picking up a few little teapots...
Have a wonderful week,
Donna

Ruth...Time Was Antiques said...

That's a great collection! You have some great pieces as well..like the Shelley you picture and others I can see. English teawares are wonderful...but then I'm prejudiced! LOL!
Cheers!
R

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Love your collection! I adore tea cups. If I had more room, I'd love to have a collection. I did inherit a few from my mom and grandmothers, so I do have the makings of one. ;)

My mother collected (among many other things!) those decorative plates from Franklin Mint, etc. - there was a time when some of the ones she had bought were said to be valued at a thousand dollars due to demand for some of the limited editions. Like the Beanie Baby craze. I've set aside the ones I enjoy to keep and hoped to sell the rest and I can't even give them away - no one wants them. Hurts my heart, they were so very dear to my mom. Times change and tastes change and the next latest and must have thing comes along.

I wholeheartedly agree, collect what you love and will enjoy - not based on what you hear will increase in value.

Happy VTT and tea time!

Sue McPeak said...

So many things to collect, it's hard to settle on just a few. That's always been my collecting demise....too many things, but I love dishes the most. Your tea cups are wonderful and the tea pots are awesome. Great post for VTT.

Sarah said...

I'm a collector at heart. I have lots of different collections that didn't start out to be collected, they just evolved. Your teacups are sweet. Thanks for sharing.

iheartsunnydays said...

What a beautiful collection you have :)

itsallaboutjudi said...

I too collected tea cups. Finally I narrowed it down...they must be made in occupied Japan, handpainted with some gold trim.....and the price must be low!....and no damage. That keeps me from buying too much!