Friday, January 7, 2011

Friendship Friday



Friends. What does that word mean to you?? How have friends influenced your life?? There seems to be different types of friendships. Fair weather friends, passing friendships, heart friends, lifelong friends.

When I was a little girl, I had a good friend. We did a lot of things together. But as would happen, we moved away and I lost contact with that friend.

After we moved to another state it was hard to make new friends. But there was a girl in school that befriended me. Her name was Dorothy. She was so sweet to me and I felt loved and liked. We stayed friends all through high school. But then she got married, had a baby, and our friendship waned.

As we forge into the next step of life, I've met other gals whom I've befriended. Yet there had never really been that "heart" friend. You know the one that you can share your deepest thoughts with, and know that they will go no farther then her ear.

One day I met Diana. She was such a warm and likable person. And she was everybody's friend. Through the years she became my BFF. We would talk together almost every day. She was giving and hospitable. She loved life and laughed a lot. But the one thing about Diana that made her special, was her unselfish love. She loved unconditionally. Now that's the kind of friend a body needs. Six years ago she lost her battle with cancer. And I have missed her so much.

God in His kindness brought another lovely lady into my life. We met 12 years ago at a conference. She lives over 1000 miles away. But we clicked. We had so much in common. And communication started to flow between us. We would see each other about once a year, either at a conference or some kind of meetings. But our friendship started sticking like glue.

Through the years our friendship has grown. I value her thoughts and prayers. She visits me a couple of times a year, and I try to visit with her yearly as well.

What does it mean to have such a special friend??

"Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort, of feeling safe with a person. Having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words. But to pour them all out just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away." (George Eliot)

Take a moment and write a note to your special friend. Let them know how much they have invested in your life. It will only take a few minutes, but the rewards will last a life time.

Linking up with Coloradolady First, Fifth, Forever.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Just the past few days, I have been thinking about my friends. I have really needed someone I can talk with about my mother's death. Several of my friends come to mind when I wonder whom I should go to, but I don't want to be a downer and seem depressed all the time, so I just hold back the tears, suck it up and go on. Sometimes, though, the tears just come with no warning. At those times, I just try to go off by myself.
But, I would like to have that one special person to whom I could pour all of this out and not feel like I'm dragging them down too.
My husband has been really good to listen, but he just lost his mom, too, and it doesn't seem right that I am the one always crying, etc...
Okay, so I know this will get easier, but when?
I have tried to decide if I think I need more professional help, or if this is normal.
I'm sorry to pour all of this out on you, but when I read your post, it just hit a chord on my heart strings. Thanks.

★Carol★ said...

I have friends, but I am blessed to have one in particular who really KNOWS me, and who I can be my true self around. She's always up for anything, but thankfully we haven't gotten into any trouble. Yet! Then there's the blog friends, who are every bit as special!

Coloradolady said...

What a great post, and I so agree your friends need to know how important they are to you. Thanks for linking in today!! Can not wait until February.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Friends are gifts from God!!!
Love your desks. How nice of the seller's to leave those 2 for you :)
I have a couple of pen pals, so I do get to write letters.
Warmly,
deb :)

Allie said...

I am so thankful for friends - the Lord has blessed me with some very Godly friends, women who I can call day or night, in good times and bad. Who keep me on the right path. Friends are a true blessing!