Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Grow your own food

 I love gardening. Although I really don't have much of a green thumb, it is satisfying in many ways. I do much better growing flowers, sometimes reviving them when they have been neglected. But in the last couple of years I have tried my hand at vegetables. 

There are many things to learn about growing food. I think the most important thing is to grow things you enjoy eating. 

Another key point is trying new things. Last year I grew cucumbers for the first time, and I loved them. 
What I have also learned is you can grow things and not spend any more money.  Did you know that you can cut off the ends of certain veggies and stick them in the ground and they will grow!

I started cutting off the end of Romaine lettuce and it has been growing new leaves.

Even cutting a stem off of basil and sticking it water will produce roots that you can plant and start new one.

Another thing I have learned is some veggies can come back year after year.  I planted this parsley plant a couple of years ago, and after looking so forlorn I picked off the dead leaves. 
This is what it look's like now!

I am hoping to plant some beans in the next few weeks. I understand the beans refresh the soil as well as being prolific 

As the cost of food has escalated over the last two years, it seems to be wise to start growing our own food. You don't really need a lot of space to plant a few veggies. I have a planter and several large black pots that I bought at Lowe's. For me it will be trial and error. But it will be worth it in the long run.


                                                      Grace at Home

1 comment:

roentare said...

Growing own food in the backyard is a really great experience