Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Eggs, anyone?

A couple of weeks ago I happened to tune into Martha Stewart's New Cooking show.  She was demonstrating every which way to make eggs.  I have to say it was a very enlightening lesson.  Martha explains so many of the details so thoroughly.  She is a pleasure to listen to.

So what did I do?  I went to the kitchen that afternoon and made one of her recipes.


I did not have fingerling potatoes, but I used the baking potatoes that I had on hand it cooked up beautifully.




I did not have a pan that I could put into the oven so I transferred the egg mixture into a pie dish.


It was very tasty, and a nice change for supper.

Frittata with Potatoes
Filling-
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 lb small fingerling potatoes, thinly sliced
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 basil leaves, chopped

Eggs -
12 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

 Topping -
3 oz fresh goat cheese, cut into 6 pieces (any kind of mild white cheese can be substituted)
2 oz Parmigiano or Asiago cheese, finely grated (1/2 cup)

Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a 10" nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Cook onion until soft and transparent, stirring occasionally.  Remove onions and add remaining olive oil plus 2 Tablespoons butter.  Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper.  Saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes.  Return onions to skillet in an even layer.  Add seasoning.

Use a whisk to lightly beat eggs in a large bowl, then whisk in cream, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

Pour egg mixture into skillet.  Cook, pushing eggs from edges to center of pan, until eggs are almost set, 2 to 3 minutes.

Drop dollops of cheese on top of frittata, distributing evenly and pressing down into eggs with spatula.   Sprinkle with Parmiagiano cheese.  Broil until frittata is set on top and has puffed slightly and cheese is melted.

Slice into six wedges and serve hot.

Martha Stewart's Cooking School - Eggs episode


7 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Looks easy to make and very tasty.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Good morning Jocelyn,
Oh my, this does sound tasty! Hubby would like it with the potatoes in it. Thanks for sharing this at my HOME and have a beautiful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

CEO Lisa Anne - L.A said...

I love eggs! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my this looks good. Wish I could have had these eggs instead of my Spam sandwich! ;)
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bernideen said...

This does look really good. Let's face it she's the expert! Thanks for linking to "Open House".

Beth said...

That looks good, Jocelyn. Have a nice wknd!

Kathy Penney said...

It looks delicious. I love anything with potatoes. :-) Thank you for adding me to your blog list! I am pinning this and am following your blog! Have a blessed Sunday!