Monday, February 28, 2011

So many words

Do you enjoy reading a good book? Do you start reading a book and find that you can't lay it down? I don't usually have a lot of time to read just for enjoyment. But I've recently read these two books.

Fireproof is a novelization by Eric Wilson. The book is based on the screenplay by the same name. I found the book to keep my interest and was an easy read. I have not seen the movie, but the book gave me greater insight into what the screen version would be about.

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp was a gift from my daughter. My daughter follows Ann on her blog and she thought her book would be insightful. While the book has some interesting points, I found it to be a little difficult to read. Ann does not write in a normal way. In her book she tends to leave off many words that would complete a sentence. It is almost like a partial thought. By the time I got to chapter 4 I had to lay it down. Now I have to say that I am the type of person who sees a typo in the newspaper. And although there were no typos, the missing words were a huge distraction to me. I am going to try to finish reading this book, as I think it has a lot depth to it.

What are you reading?

5 comments:

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Oh how I loved Fireproof! And, even more importantly to me, my husband did too! I am reading Jan Karon's books on Mitford, and just began her new series called "The Father Tim novels" so am really loving it. I love the quotes from Wordsworth. I'm with you on the typos... I hate my own, but it usually distracts me to read it in other writing (such as the newspaper!).

Diann said...

I'll have to look for Fireproof. But, the other one, that kind of writing would drive me insane I think.

Allie said...

I love to read - before I started sewing, I read a book a day. Or should I say before blogging, lol! Fireproof looks good, the other, I'd probably find a distraction too. I used to be a proofreader.

Anonymous said...

I just started Plastic by Susan Feinkel which is good so far although I have a feeling it will change the way I view the world!

Julia said...

I'm reading my grandmother's journals that she started keeping the year I was born. It is fun to read and remember some of the happenings that she wrote about. It's fun to read about what I was doing on certain days. We were a big mixed up family of cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents.
I've read Fireproof. One Thousand Gifts looks familiar, but I can't remember if I've read it or not.
I have been so tied up with sewing for Easter that I haven't had much time for reading.