Thursday, March 14, 2024

Boca Grande

Boca Grande used to be a beautiful seaside destination. A haven for the rich and famous. The DuPonts, Rockefellers, Audrey Hepburn and others had homes on this island retreat. But over the years it has changed. So much so that I hardly recognized it.  Where we used to take our bikes over the whole island, it is now nothing by condos and houses jammed together.

The original lighthouse. The Port Boca Grande Lighthouse was built in 1890. Restored in 1985.
The Gasparilla Island Light was installed and lit in 1932. 

The Boca Grande Pass is considered one the the world's best tarpon fishing spots. I can testify to that as I once caught a 125 lb tarpon. It was a feat that I won't easily forget. And the water is pristine blue.


Banyan Street, the only thing I recognized from years ago. Still as lovely and mystical as ever.

We tried to find the lot where the house was that my husbands Doctor friend owned. He would allow us to come and stay, with the use of his Mako boat. We think this was where it used to stand. Now demolished and newly built. 
The canal where the boat was moored. We would take the boat out and fish or run over to Useppa Island. 
Sad to say the magic of the island has disappeared. With so much construction it is no different than any other vacation destination in Florida. But it does hold sweet memories for hubby and myself. 

                                            Skywatch Friday   

                                            My Corner of the World


8 comments:

roentare said...

The Port Boca Grande Lighthouse is looking so unique. The thick tree is looking fabulous!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

It is sad to see so much development all over Florida since I first came in the 1970's. I feel your pain.

Tom said...

...popularity changes things!

magiceye said...

Beautifully captured.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Lots of magical places have been over developed and transformed. When I was little we lived near Santa Fe. I still remember department and hardware stores on the square. They are all art galleries now.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I feel your pain too. Over-development is everywhere. Glad you at least have your wonderful memories!

Joyful said...

Beautiful setting. It's sad that so much has changed.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Sadly we've only seen it in it's later transformation as we're fairly recent (dreaded words ahead) winter residents. New developments are rampant in pretty much the whole state I fear. Fort Myers beach that was, as you know, hard hit by Ian is being rebuilt and will never be the same. It was a sweet reminder of old Florida beach towns but now it will be just like you describe Boca Grande.