Thursday, September 21, 2023

Hamner Fire Tower

 


Fire Tower still stands, but forests long gone.

The 85' Hamner Fire Tower on Fletcher Avenue was built in 1936 and has been designated a landmark under Hillsborough county's historic preservation program (ELAPP). The tower is a remnant of  when the area was more rural. The tower was saved from demolition in 1993 when county commissioners voted to purchase the 8.7 acres surrounding property from the state. The small parcel was turned into a urban wildlife preserve.

                                    Skywatch Friday 

                                   My Corner of the World

7 comments:

roentare said...

Looks tall with that long standing history. Cloudscape is impressive

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

nice little spot for wildlife and a little bit of history

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love to see old fire towers. I wonder if they are still being used. My dad used to be in the US Forest Service and we had family friends who manned a fire tower in Arizona's Tonto National Forest. It was a thrill as a kid to climb up there.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's pretty cool. Glad they didn't knock it down. Not sure I would want to climb to the top, though!

Alana said...

Tampa? I don't remember the tower (I lived in Tampa for a couple of years in the 1970's) and I applaud every time something historic is saved.

Light and Voices said...

It is totally awesome that this Fire Tower was not torn down because now it is a place for wildlife to gather and multiply. Two thumbs up for your town leaders thinking about the future generations instead of their pocketbooks. Interesting blog as always. Hugs.

mvmaithai said...

Oh my, look at those clouds! The tower is interesting. I need to check it out when I come for the winter.