Monday, September 15, 2014

Book Review


I was recently sent a book from Bethany House titled "Colliding with Destiny" by Sarah Jakes.  As a reviewer of new books being released, I have the opportunity to read them and give an honest review.

The title of this book perked my interest as the sub title was "Finding Hope in the Legacy of Ruth", speaking of the book of Ruth in the Bible.  I have always found that people like Joseph, Daniel, Esther and Ruth were high on my list of heroes of the faith.

When I started reading "Colliding with Destiny" I think I was expecting a much deeper study about the woman who lost it all.  The back cover states "the Story of Ruth is a journey of transformation." According to the cover synopsis, "Follow Ruth's life and discover the hope available to each of us."
While this is very much what I wanted to glean from this book, it's not what I found within it's pages.

This book would make a good 30 day devotional.  The chapters are short, ending with Journal notes and a prayer.  It was not, however a deeper study about the Moabite woman Ruth.  Sarah Jakes did a nice job of sharing her own testimony and experiences and paralleling it with Ruth's own journey.

A little disappointed in what I found?  Yes, but only from the stand point that I misunderstood the context of the book.  Miss Jakes makes her biographical parallel pertinent to the younger generation that may be coping with hurts and losses.  For them, this book may be a source of encouragement and strength.



No comments: