Thursday, August 3, 2023

New Bern - Home of Pepsi Cola

 Founded in 1710 by Baron Christopher de Graffenried of Bern, Switzerland, New Bern is the second oldest town in North Carolina and the first state capital.




A big fire during the Civil War burned a number of homes in what is the historic downtown. Since the town of New Bern was occupied very early in the war by the "Federals" (Union Army forces), many of the old houses were saved. When the residents returned to town after the war, many of their homes were occupied by freedmen and squatters, and it took many years for the ravages of the war to disappear. The First Presbyterian Church, however, had been used as a Union hospital during the war and had sustained significant damage during the Battle of New Bern and its subsequent medical use.




Pepsi Cola was invented in New Bern in 1898. It was originally called "Brad's Drink" after Caleb Bradham, the pharmacist who invented it.

Birthplace of Pepsi




                                    Skywatch Friday 

                                   My Corner of the World

8 comments:

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Growing up in Tennessee, I've been to North Carolina mutltiple times but I have never even heard of Bern. Thanks for the history.

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

I would like to vissit

roentare said...

Love the towns and the signs.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What an interesting history. I never knew anything about the history of Coca Cola, but as a pharmacist, it's of interest to me!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Such an historic place that I had never heard of before. Love the history and I now I know the bithplace of Pepsi.

Jim said...

Interesting.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful history about Pepsi and town of Bern ~ great photos ~ it looks very much like New England ~ surprised ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Alana said...

I have been to North Carolina several times, but not that area. Pepsi has an interesting history, some of it tied up with my native New York City.