Saturday, May 26, 2018

First Impressions


First Impressions is a modern retelling of the Jane Austen classic Pride and Prejudice. Over the years I have read and enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and viewed several of the movie adaptions.

I had a hard time to mentally sink into the modern tale of Eddi and Dave (Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy).  It seems to me that retelling a classic story in a modern setting would be a daunting task. Debra White Smith actually wrote a creative original story in a southern setting. Because this book was touted as a retelling of the Austen classic, I felt that I would run into Mr. Darcy and the Bennetts at every turn. I think Ms Smith took liberties that would galvanize the story into the modern setting.

Ms. Smith did a good job weaving her story. Pride and Prejudice is such a complex work, one filled with emotions, misunderstanding, awakening love, simplicity. As far as my personal preference, I didn't enjoy everything about the novel. Yet I think this book would be of interest to those who would enjoy the modern telling of a very old classic.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

1 comment:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Good to know! Thank you! P and P is one of my all time favorites, so appreciate knowing there's a modern story like it......there's a few out there but nothing at all beats the BBC version of it with Colin Firth as Mr. D. I think I have watched it a hundred times, haha.

Have a wonderful weekend.