Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday

Once again I am joining in on Vintage Thingies Thursday hosted by ColoradoLady.

This week I visited one of my favorite thrifting spots!

Our local Hospice thrift store has to be one of the cleanest second hand stores that I've ever been in. It's pretty well organized, and I often find a treasure or two.

I love to collect sewing paraphernalia. So digging around in the craft bins, I came away with these little goodies.

Most of them were 29c each.

And at times they get in an assortment of crafting books, so I always check out the book section. This week this book on cross stitch patterns really grabbed my interest. It has some really cute patterns.

But you know how it is when you have been searching for that one particular thing that you would really love to grab a hold of? Well it happened to me this week. As I was browsing through the books, I saw it! The one craft book that's been on my list for a long time. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw the title in the pile of books.

101 Patchwork Patterns by Ruby Short McKim. This was the Quilting bible back before quilt books were an every day occurence. I've looked for this book everywhere, and even online. I could buy a newer edition on the Dover website for $10, but when I looked inside this book, it was marked $1.00!!!! Wooo-hooo. Absolutely made my day!

So what thrifting treasures have you found this week?

Please check out ColoradoLady's blog and visit the other Vintage Thingies :-) Also check out Goodwill Goodies and Thrift Store Thursday on Holly's blog. What fun things to find in thrift stores!

22 comments:

Postcardy said...

I love your button card. That's something I would like to collect--for a nice low price, not the price antique dealers charge.

I have an old hardcover edition of the 101 Patchwork Patterns book.

Unknown said...

No thrifting for me this week. Now that I think of it, I haven't bought anything, including gas or groceries, for 2 weeks!? How did that happen?
I'm giving away a Halloween bracelet, so check it out when you visit for VTT.

Allie said...

OH MY - I covet that book, lol! You found some real treasures there!

Maureen said...

Ohhhhh.....the button card. Sweet!

Unknown said...

What wonderful finds! I really need to get out and find some new thrift stores! :)

Sandy'
http://521lakestreet-sandy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

wow i'd be excited too at finding these fabulous treasures..especially that quilting book!!..sometimes wishes do come true :)

The McCrays said...

great finds! Can't wait to see what comes from these books!!

Ulla said...

These were all great finds I would have loved to find, too!

Heidi said...

What wonderful treasures you have found. I love collecting vintage sewing items. You found a true bargain with the patchwork book. Did you happen to see my handwork blog too? It is AllMyScatteringMoments on my profile.

Hugs ~
Heidi

viridian said...

That Ruby McKim book is a real find! Oh I am feeling the call to go out thrifting today!

Unknown said...

I love that button cards and ive found them before, lots of them but never cool ones like that!

Old Time Cindy said...

Great finds! Makes you smile when you finally score on that special item.
Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Holly said...

I remember those Aunt Martha things; my grandma had them. So awesome that you found the exact book you were looking for...isn't that the best?!
Thanks for linking up with me :)

RachelD said...

The card of buttons reminds me that I have quite a few of those stashed in an old box of family photos. The cards of pretty little buttons, lots of them little flat plastic dogs or windmills or flowers, were my playthings at my Mammaw's house, and I imagine some of these cards have my grubby little fingerprints still.

Your finds are wonderful---I LOVE thrift stores.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Fabulous Finds! I love Thrift Stores also.;~)
~Myrna

cindy said...

I need to get me to the book section in our thrift stores! Great finds at great prices!

Coloradolady said...

I never think to look in the book sections of these stores, looks like I have maybe been missing something! Great price and wonderful you found what you were looking for.

Have a great Weekend and a wonderful VTT!

annies home said...

my mom, grandma and daughter are great hand crafters

Debbie said...

A kindred spirit, I like to rummage for vintage sewing items as well!

Protector of Vintage said...

Congrats on finding the book!! One never knows what great treasures are awaiting at the thrift store!

Lisa said...

I love old craft books. And the Aunt Martha's transfers are wonderful. Thanks for your kind comments....BTW, what a wonderful idea that a hospice has a thrift store!

Terri said...

Oh!! You're killing me!! I've been doing so good staying out of those places....I really need to NOT spend $$$$ but you did Oh so good!!!