Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The big comfy chair

I love old chairs. There is just something about their charm and grace that is so inviting. Whenever I see an old chair in an antique shop or a thrift store, I want to bring it home with me. Of course that is just not possible. But there should be a sign outside my house - "Home for wayward and lost chairs".

Recently my daughter was making some changes in her room when "the" dresser came to live with us. She asked if I would swap a chair that she had in her room for a smaller one that I had in our living room. I thought it was a great idea, and in the process, we moved furniture in the living room around too.

I've fallen in love with this chair.

It is big, and comfy AND short :-) I'm not very tall, and sometimes my feet barely reach the floor when I sit in an easy chair. This chair has compassion for shorter people. It's old and bumpy, but it encompasses me with it's warm inviting arms. I can sit in this chair and read, or watch the butterflys outside.

It's a dark dreary rainy day here today. Come, sit with me for a while.

Join me for a cup of tea, or we will wrap ourselves up in a good book.


"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort, of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of kindess, blow the rest away."
~ George Eliot

5 comments:

blushing rose said...

G'day ~ What a lovely afternoon I've shared with you. Enjoyed discussing your book, your hospitality was warm, you are charming.

Hope you'll pop over & join me ... Have a beautiful week. TTFN ~ Marydon

Nanette said...

Oh that looks so comfy and inviting! It is so nice when you find a chair that your feet can touch the floor and still sit up straight, lucky you!
Valerie

Allie said...

I love chairs best. If I lived alone, I wouldn't own a couch. I have my grandmother's chair, the back goes down into a reclining position - it's my computer chair. I put my feet up and read blogs, lol. I've SLEPT in this chair in a pinch.
Your chair looks so cozy and inviting!

Crispy said...

I love a chair that fits we short people :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your chair.... I need to come by and sit in it and relax... :)