Monday, February 11, 2013

Tea with Mrs. Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809 and was regarded as one of America's greatest heroes due to his incredible impact on the nation and his unique appeal. His is a remarkable story of the rise from humble beginnings to achieve the highest office in the land.

Lincoln was married to Mary Todd.  A member of a large, wealthy Kentucky family, Mary was well educated.  Mary came to Springfield, Illinois to visit her sisters in 1840. After a tumultuous courtship, she married Abraham Lincoln on November 4, 1842.

When Lincoln won the Presidential election, the Civil War was imminent. Before he even assumed office, seven states had seceded, with four more after his inauguration in March. Although Mary had dreamed of a proud entry into Washington, because of an assassination attempt, they had to sneak into the capitol. Her dreams were soon further crushed with harsh criticism, disappointments and more heartache.

“Being under scrutiny as a fashion symbol, the first lady’s popularity was as precarious as a roller-coaster ride – sometimes up and often down, with change in the blink of an eye. Her fastidious attention to matters of dress at first impressed and recommended her to the press," wrote biographer Catherine Clinton. "The rumored costs of her attire became the subject of Washington gossip and prompted bitter critiques by journalists, especially as Union soldiers fell by the thousands, maimed and wounded, dying in camp and on the battlefield.”

Recently I entered a giveaway at Insights From SewCalGal for a copy of "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker" and was fortunate to win this latest writing by Jennifer










21 comments:

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello,
this was really intersting for me as I didn't knew those things about the life of Mrs. Lincoln. I think, the book is entertaining as well as educating. Congratulation for this wonderful win. And how delightsome to have a cup of tea while reading. The setting is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing this excerpt of the book and the wonderful tea time.
Best greetings, Johanna

Antiques And Teacups said...

Wonderful post! I love your reminder of the history. We all need that! Your setting is lovely! I will be looking for the book...hadn't heard of that one. Thanks so much!
Ruth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Jocelyn,
That sounds like a fascinating book. I have always admired Abraham Lincoln. Wonderful win!
Your blue and white tea is delightful and accompanied by such a good read too. Thank you for coming to tea with me and enjoy your day, my friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ruthie Miller said...

Dear Jocelyn,
Look forward to reading that book. Thanks for the heads up. I love your teapot!!!!!!
~Ruthie from: http://www.ladybstimefortea.blogspot.com

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

A good book and tea makes for a great afternoon! I love your pretty blue teapot and cup and also your runner. Happy ❤ Day.

Beth said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I love your blue and white tea on the porch. A beautiful setting, and I enjoyed the history too.
Beth

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

That is such a lovely teatime!

I recently saw Lincoln (the movie) and thought it was brilliantly done, what a gentleman he was! We are so thankful for his strength and diligence!

You should share this pretty blue tea over at Smiling Sally's Blue Monday linky party - I know it would be well received there!

Linda Jennings said...

I need to read this book. Mary Todd Lincoln's historic home is in Lexington, KY very near a tea room I frequently visit.

SmilingSally said...

Oh how I wish that I could sip some tea with you! I love the blue and white. I love your blues; thanks for sharing.

Happy Blue Monday!

dix said...

Very interesting! Your blue and white tea set and setting is so cozy and delightful. Thanks for sharing. dix---

Tanya Rachelle said...

Lovely post! This book looks so interesting- thank you for sharing it with us. You have a new follower in me! You collect sewing machines?!! My last count it looked like I've began collecting them as well! Thanks for making me smile today.
~tanya

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a lovely tea with your beautiful blue tea set! Your book sounds very interesting! Happy Valentine's day!
Nancy

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Oh, lucky you having tea outside on the porch with pretty blue and white china.
Both my husband and I liked the movie 'Lincoln' and although Sally Field had a small role, she portrayed Mary Todd rather well I think. I'll put this book on my list as I like historical books, including fiction.
Judith

Unknown said...

So pretty :-)

Janet - Painted Piglet, BikerChickNews said...

Very lovely tea setting, and the book sounds fascinating!

Maureen Wyatt said...

The book sounds fascinating and how grand to take tea with an historical figure!

Princesa Nadie said...

Visiting yoou has been a pleasure
I love your tea with Mrs. Lincon

Donna said...

What a wonderful tea and a fascinating book....I must check it out

Bernideen said...

All the information you have given has been so interesting and I love it that you linked to my "Friends Sharing Tea" blog party. Your teapot looks familiar - I think it is very pretty!

KathyB. said...

I was immediately intrigued by Mrs. Lincoln and how you presented her. She has suffered very bad press even unto this day, and maybe I should read this book. It must be hard to be the wife of a president, or any famous spouse,always under scrutiny, and nowadays, always susceptible to instant press releases from anyone with a camera or phone.

Taking tea, reading history, relaxing and educational in all the best ways. What a great post, thank-you.

GardenOfDaisies said...

That sounds like a really good book. I'll have to look for it. Love your pretty blue and white teapot!