Wednesday, October 21, 2009

VTT

It's been so fun to join Colorado Lady on Vintage Thingies Thursday . There are so many wonderful blogs that share about their Vintage finds or what they have stored away in their cottages :-) I love meeting all the lovely people who love the treasure hunt as much as I do.

This past weekend I visited our local Good Will. It was a busy day, as the parking lot was full. The place was buzzing with people. I ventured to the housewares as that is usually my main stopping point. I found a blue and white tea cup, and was considering a pitcher, when I spotted these little beauties in one of the carts.

The cart was in the middle aisle and I noticed the top of the larger Flour container. I picked it up and was delighted to see there was another one underneath. It was the Sugar container. Woo-hoo happy dance. Only $2 each. I thought perhaps there may be other pieces, but there were no more in the cart. I made my way over to the pots and pans aisle and THERE IT WAS! The Coffee container! And this one was only $1. I KNOW there was another one there somewhere, because I found another lid, but I never could find the bottom piece. Yipee, what a score! I love these old containers. I remember my Mom having a grease container on her stove when I was little. It had the little insert that sifted out the junk from the grease. Goodness, did they really reuse the grease over and over. My Mom was from the depression days, so everything was reused.

Here is how these little beauties look in my kitchen :-)

I also found four more pieces of Buffalo china.

These coffee cups are so pretty with the little decoration around the rim. My Buffalo China collection is really adding up. Love that stuff.

Hope you will stop by the other VTT posts and pay a visit.

Happy Thriftin'!

21 comments:

Postcardy said...

Those canisters are very attractive.

LV said...

You found some neat things on your Goodwill shopping. I go most every week, but I do not seem to go on the day there is much to choose from.

★Carol★ said...

I love those canisters, and to me they are the ultimate in kitchen decor! I wish you could have found that last one though. Oh well, I bet one will come your way one day. Love that Buffalo China too. That stuff was made to last forever!
Happy VTT

Allie said...

Oh my goodness, those are the exact cannisters my grandma had in her kitchen. Love your finds!

Janet, said...

I have a TEA canister just like your coffee, sugar and flour one! I also have the salt and pepper shakers. I love vintage kitchen items, wish I had ones like yours to add to my collection.

Jane said...

I love the canisters...they do bring back memories. My mom used to reuse the grease over and over again too..didn't think anything of it then but can't imagine doing it now!
Jane

Teresa~ Gardening with Soule said...

Those are just great! I also remember the coffee tin of lard on the stove. yuck! My grandmother lived to be 97, so it didn't kill her.

Vicki said...

Jocelyn,
I love that sweet canister set! It reminds me, too, of my childhood days. My mom lived through the depression, and believe me, we saved everything, even aluminum foil. Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit today. Blessings to you! Vicki

Anonymous said...

i LOVE your canisters..they look right at home on top of the cabinet!

Coloradolady said...

Great finds! I love the canisters, and such a great price, and those cups...I would have snagged them as well! Love those. Have a great Fall weekend and Happy VTT!

Lisa said...

Cool canisters! What is "buffalo china" -- never heard of it?? I'm interested in knowing about it if you can please let me know! Thanks!

rt said...

Love those canisters!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by my place and commenting on the bench on the wall. You know how precious each comment is and I truly appreciate your time. You have a lovely blog, and I absolutely love "vintage" canisters. There is so much personality in those items...really adds a lovely touch to your home.
Jan
http://wwwbobbypinsboardwalk.blogspot.com/

Kathi Fly said...

Oh, my grandmother had those same canisters forever! I wish I still had them. What a great find and price!

Debbie said...

What a great find (and great deal) on the cannisters and they look great on the shelf.

Vonlipi said...

Spun aluminum canisters are the best! I have a grease one on my stove but I didn't know they originally came with a little strainer.

Oh Yeah they kept everything! My mom would filter grease and oil and keep them in the fridge. She washed saran wrap as well....

Nanette said...

Those canisters are great. I do remember my mom saving grease occasionally, she usually put in in the refrigerator until someone finally threw it out! Not sure it every really got used twice. Your cups are so sweet!
Valerie

Angela said...

Hey Joscelyn!

Thanks for visiting me! Looks like you too were blessed when you found your Treasures! What a find for you! And at a really good price! After reading all of these blogs that boast about their incredible deals from GoodWill I had to go there myself back in September. I didn't see anything and certainly not at those great prices like you found!

Vintage Thingie Thursday!
Angela

Holly said...

Really like the canisters! My mom had a bacon grease crock on the stove, too. At some point in my married life, I figured out that's why her scrambled eggs tasted so good, and mine, cooked with Pam, don't.

Unknown said...

I ADORE those canisters! I am not a canister "person" but I love tin and would definitely find a way to use them and see them every day.

Denise Marie said...

great snags!!

there is nothing better than finding more of what you already love and have.