Saturday, October 24, 2009

Treasure hunting

Treasure hunting is simply enjoying the process of looking for and finding something that you didn't know you were looking for! When you find it, it inspires you to continue the hunt for the "next" thing :-) Of course it has to be at just the right price, or else the hunt is not valid. It's the difference between buying something retail, or finding the very same thing for 95% off! The process is almost as much fun as the find.

Does this look like fun to you??




This last place - Olde Junque Shop - was, well, it was pretty junky, that's for sure.

These were some of the spots we visited a couple of weeks ago in South Carolina. My dear hubby and son were at a sporting event, so my daughter and I hit the antique trail. Found a few treasures (one of which was the egg scale I posted about last week).

We found several other treasures, but I think this one topped it off for my daughter.

We have seen this cookbook in many different places. Some are in very good condition, others are falling apart. We've seen a vast array of pricing, but my daughter found this one for $1.50. I don't know if many of you have used this grand old BH & G red and white cookbook, but when I got married I lived in this cookbook. I never knew how to make cream sauce, or cole slaw dressing, or even how long to cook a roast. This cookbook was my bible in the kitchen.

So look! Now we have a twin -

Mine is on the right, and it's looks pretty beat up. But it's over 35 years old, and has taken it's licks. However, this cookbook still has the best recipe for Coconut Cream pie, and even tells you how long to cook eggs ;-)

Happy thriftin'!

9 comments:

Tina said...

Oh there is just nothing like the family cookbook is there? That BH&G one is a classic! In my family, it was my grandmother's copy of The Women's Home Companion Cookbook (my sister got the original so I have the "twin"). Congrats to your daughter on a great find! :-)

Tina
Pecan Corner

Protector of Vintage said...

I should get a copy. I'm a horrible cook! Have a nice weekend.

★Carol★ said...

One of my most favorite signs to see is "Antiques"! My next favorite is "Sale"!
I have that cookbook too, but it's only about 5 years old. I got it at Menards, of all places! And not only is it full of great recipes, it goes with my kitchen decor ;-)

ritad said...

I'm with you..I have loved this cookbook since the very early 60's (I was a child bride)and taught myself to cook with it by my side. I would not trade it for the world..So many stains and memories.

Vicki said...

Yes, Jocelyn, that looks like a lot of FUN to me! I love to go to antique and thrift stores!! I am so glad your daughter found the cookbook to match yours. Have a beautiful weekend and thank you so much for stopping by for a visit. Vicki

Allie said...

Oh how I love treasure hunting - found a retro table and chairs at the Salvation Army yesterday, great condition and only $35 - hubby wouldn't buy them for me! ARGH.
Love that cookbook, I have one too and since mum never taught me to cook, it was my kitchen bible too!

blushing rose said...

My kind of day! Sandi the other day said Marie Callender coconut creme pie was like homemade ... wanted to try it out but the RAIN STORMS have been confining.

I did find a huge mirrored dresser tray that I am painting today WITH roses around the metal edging. YAH!!!

Hugs, TTFN ~ Marydon

Nat Palaskas said...

What's a good hunt! I love the look of those cook books! I'm glad I don't live the States coz I will have to build a warehouse to put all the goodies. I love treasure hunt as much as you Jocelyn - Thanks for sharing - Hugs Natima

Old Time Cindy said...

Wow...you got an excellent buy on that cookbook!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy