Wednesday, June 24, 2020

What Momma Left Behind

 

Worie Dressar is a young woman who gave up her chance of marriage to help her mother after her father died. The story is placed in the eastern Tennessee mountains in 1898 when disease runs though the mountains like wild fire. After her mother dies, and as influenza and typhoid spread, Worie is left with feeding the the children orphaned by the deaths. Through all of her struggles she learns to trust God and learns compassion for others.

What Momma Left Behind by Cindy K. Sproles was such a different story than I normally read. Ms Sproles narrative was through the eyes of Worie, a simple. uneducated woman. I found the book a little hard to read in the dialect, but the realities and hardship of moutain life came through.

I think you will find it is a sad story but one of compassion and love, as the people of the mountains care for each other. The characters are well written and brings you to a place of understanding how  people lived in extreme poverty. 

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

No comments: