Saturday, December 16, 2017

Out of the Ordinary


After reading several books by Jen Turano, I was anticipating her newest novel. Set in the late 1880's the story revolves around Gertrude Cadwalader and her employer, the quirky Mrs. Davenport. It seems that Gertrude is constantly trying to keep Mrs. Davenport out of trouble. Gertrude's best friend, Harrison Sinclair, comes along side with some humorous results.

Although I have thoroughly enjoyed Ms. Turano's other novels, I found this one harder to read and to drag somewhat. Her characters were eccentric and hilarious but there was often so much mayhem that it left me wanting for depth. Maybe a little too much back story and scene description. Ms. Turano is an excellent author. I recently read A Change of Fortune and was completely enchanted. But Out of the Ordinary didn't draw me in as much as some of Ms. Turano's other books. 

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher. All views expressed are my honest opinion.

No comments: