Thursday, August 21, 2014

Beware of Yard Sales

Recently, my dear daughter joined in with some of her friends to have a yard sale. She gathered up things that have been waiting to be re-homed, and set up for a selling spree with 3 other families.

Not too long after she set up at the host house, I get a phone call.

"Mom, there is a dresser here that I want you to come see. It is really neat, but I need you to take a look at it."

Okay, I sez......

So I got myself together, drove out to the said house, and looked at the dresser. It was an old dresser, that had some very lovely detailing. It smelled though, which is usually a put off for me. But my daughter really wanted it, to house the mountain of clothes that has invaded her room.

The price was right, and I told her to do a google search on how to take the smell out of the furniture. I was sure there was a way to take the moth ball smell out, as most good antique stores have odorless very old pieces of furniture.

So this is what came to our house that afternoon.

It has the little wheels at the end of the legs, and little scrolly design on the top corners.

My daughter found out that kitty litter is good for taking out the odor, so she bought some kind of cat product and spread newspaper in each drawer, and let it sit for a couple of days. She used Murphy Soap oil, and then a furniture oil to give it a nice finish.

And now it is sitting nicely in her room, adjusting well to the influx of clothing that were being orphaned in a laundry basket. They are much happier now.

So the moral of this story is, when you have a yard sale with other people, you are most certainly going to do some cross-shopping. I don't think my daughter actually made any profit at this sale, but she did profit by finding a nice piece of furniture. What is the saying, one man's trash is another man's treasure. In this case, it was one girls :-)

4 comments:

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

How lovely is that and so practical.

Nonnie said...

With your title, I pictured a negative outcome of the yard sale. They can be a source of treasures, for sure. A few years ago, I bought a rocker and its rocking foot stool for $20 in my mobile home park rummage sale. Its color is blue and fit right in a corner of my living room. But mostly I buy books- I seldom pay more than $1 for hardbacks and 50 cents for paperbacks.

Quinn said...

Glad your clever daughter managed to get the smell out! I had a long battle with a musty freecycled cedar chest that had spent a lifetime in a damp basement, but I think it was partly because of the fabric-lined shelf inside. I think it's okay now but I'm still afraid to store clothing or yarn in the chest, which is why I got it in the first place LOL!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh that WOOD - it is precious, oh my gosh what a classic.

Hope she never EVER paints that rare and valuable wood. What a treasure to find!