Thursday, May 23, 2013

Picadillo

My Mom was a fabulous cook!  She came from a large family so I'm sure she had her share of cooking during the growing up years.  Living in a town where the mix of Spanish, Cuban, Italian and American cooking was common, her cooking always had a taste of International.

My Mom passed away while I was in my 20's, so I never learned the ethnic dishes that she cooked so well.  But I found a scribbled paper where she had jotted down the ingredients for Picadillo, a traditional Latin American dish.

The cast of characters -



1 lb Ground Beef
Green Peppers, Onions, garlic
1 can whole or diced tomatoes
Raisins
Green Olives

Saute green peppers, onions and garlic in olive oil.  Set aside.

Cook ground beef and drain well.

Add peppers, onions, garlic and can of tomatoes to cooked beef and cook til blended. 

Add raisins and green olives.
Salt to taste.
Serve over hot rice.

I'm sorry that I don't have exact measurements, but it is kind of a throw together type meal.

I love the blend of flavors.  The raisins and green olives give it that sweet and sour flavor.  I hope you will give it a try.  A great ground beef stretcher.


2 comments:

Debbie said...

I've heard of this dish but never tried it. I think my family (especially the daughter who will be home this coming weekend) would love it.

Bernideen said...

This looks like a unique and delicious dish! Would love to have you post this at "Open House".