Thursday, February 28, 2013

How do you start a collection?

A collection can start innocently enough. You find a seashell, and then another, and before you know it you have a jar full of seashells. Or maybe someone gives you a cream pitcher as a gift. You find another one at a thrift store or antique shop. You have started a collection.

So where do I go to find little treasures. Years ago the most likely place to dig for hidden treasures was at yard or estate sales. We have them quite often here in Florida. With the balmy weather, it seems to invite opening your garage and cleaning out the clutter. One man's junk is another man's (or woman's ) treasure.

But in the last several years, thrift stores have cropped up in just about every neighborhood.



A good place to start is your local Good Will or Salvation Army stores. I have found many collectible items at the Good Will. Some days I go and find nothing, but then there may a day when I hit on a great find.

Antique shops are also a good place to seek out treasures. But I would suggest that you do your homework and know what you are looking for, and have an idea of what a good price might be. Some Antique shops can be quite pricey. But then again you might find something like this.

One time on a trip, my daughter and I found an Antique Mall just outside of town. It was a very well kept shop with lots of individual booths. As I walked around the back of the store, I came across these pink glasses. It was love at first sight. They are not old, but they are the same color as my other pink depression glass pieces. When I saw the price, I knew that I had to take them home. There were 9 glasses, for $10! Now that was a far better price then if I had purchased them new at Home Goods, or even at the Good Will. And the funny thing is, we had just been to an Antique shop in town the day before. In that shop I almost bought six pink glasses that were marked 1/2 price off of $6 (EACH). But the glass looked a little odd to me. They had some kind of film on them, and it did not rub off when I tried to clean it with my hand. So I left them. And was I ever so glad I did when I came upon these little beauties.

Another thing that I might note is to be patient. Sometimes you might be looking for something special. You just have to keep looking.


I've been on the lookout for an old scale for my kitchen. They have been mostly too expensive for my budget. But when I found this scale, in great condition, and in my price range, I knew it was a keeper.

So tell me, where do you go to find your treasures?? I'd love to hear about your adventures in thrifting.

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

Love the glassware. When I find something I really like then I find myself looking for more.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I also go to Goodwill and yard sales. The thrill is the hunt and finding just that one thing that strikes my fancy.

Our Goodwill is picked over very quickly, so if you don't go early and every day, the goodies are usually gone. I am not that into it to be that diligent. My favorite Goodwills are in the small towns. I love going to those when we travel. =)

Marigene said...

What a great deal on the glassware! I just love going to thrift stores, you just never know what you will find...

Bernideen said...

I am in my happiest moments in an antique market, yard sale, etc. My husband has things he looks for and I look for linens, teasets,
old jewelry, etc. I have collected antiques for 45 years but do plan to come up to date in the future by going shabby chic with them - white.

Entertaining Women said...

I have some favorite 'antique mall'/thrift stores, too...always a great source for new treasures. Cherry Kay

Diann said...

I have a set of the same pink glasses and love them. What a great scale! Thank you for sharing at TTF.