Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Home Made Chili

After my post yesterday, I was asked to share my Chili Recipe. I really don't have a specific recipe, but I can tell you how I make Chili.

The first most important thing is the cast of characters.

Years ago I started using Van Camps New Orleans Style Red Kidney Beans. It was the best beans for my Chili.

After using this product for YEARS, our grocery stores stopped carrying it. I thought perhaps Van Camps was not making it anymore. But on a trip to Alabama, my hubby found it at the Piggly Wiggly supermarket. Since then he brings home a case of the Beans every year.

The same thing happened with the tomatoes I used. The GaRed Tomatoes went into my Chili, and again the grocery store stopped carrying this brand. Thankfully, Piggly Wiggly still carries this brand as well.

I tried using other beans and tomatoes when these products were not available, but my Chili just did not taste as good. So if you can find these products, I would suggest that you try it in your Chili.

The Seasoning of choice is the Original Mexene Chili Powder Seasoning. It's the only seasoning I have ever used.

Home Made Chili
1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
1 medium chopped onion
3 cans 15 oz Peeled Tomatoes
2 tablespoons Mexene Chili Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 cans 15 oz Kidney Beans

Brown meat and onion. Drain.
In stock pot, cut up Peeled Tomatoes and add meat, onion, and remaining seasoning. Mix well. Add Kidney Beans. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.

Serve hot with crackers.

4 comments:

Protector of Vintage said...

Oh, I'm going to try to find those ingredients!! Thanks for posting.

Sewconsult said...

Similar to my chili in that I use lots of canned diced tomatoes, paste and tomato sauce (Delmonte), Bush's Chili Beans, McCormick Chili seasoning, chopped onions and water if needed to thin down. I brown my beef ahead of time and keep it in 1lb pkgs in the freezer. Throw into a crock pot and cook on high for 2 hrs or low for 4.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

annies home said...

love home made chilli there are so many ways to be making it come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/01/caramelized-bread-pudding.html

The Tablescaper said...

So neat that your husband procures a case for you.

- The Tablescaper